xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Monday 10 March 2014

8ABX18 - Three Words

Summary


Halfway through the program, an odd thought struck me: I don't know the name of this episode. I also couldn't recall whether I'd merely forgotten it or whether I never knew it in the first place. That says a lot for how things have changed. But one thing that doesn't change is Mulder. For as many complaints as I've had (and will continue to have), I have to give kudos to CC and FS for writing Mulder as recognizably as they've done here. (This episode underscored for me how the terms "constant" and "touchstone" refer to Mulder rather than Scully. He will always be the same. The writing staff has already demonstrated to us that the same doesn't apply to Scully.) That said, my opinion of this episode swung back and forth like Paul Bunyan's axe. At one point I was reminded of the infamous Bart Simpson comment: "this both sucks and blows". More accurately, this was both confusing and predictable. I felt like I was watching some weird hybrid rehash of the movie, Memento Mori, and other past eps. And yet, the sequences with the LGM were among the finest of the hour. The part about the data was just more of the usual TXF nonsense. Firewalls after the fact? Must be some sort of government cost control strategy where they don't pay for protection until it's proven that it's needed. It's a set-up? Gasp — No! Random thoughts... alrighty, so who easily guessed that 1) Mulder's delicious looks (not to mention his essential health) would be restored via some "medical miracle", that 2) Mulder would hear about Scully's pregnancy off-camera, and 3) that Doggett's smarmy friend is an alien? Are we getting too smart for this show? And who agrees that the alien technology/plan could stand a bit more quality control? That obvious protrusion in the back of the neck is a problem, no? Why do manly men lose their balls entirely when called in front of Kersh? Speaking of manly men, has Doggett completely morphed into SensitiveMan? Okay, I'll stop with the questions. Appreciated the move by Scully to "steal" the hard drive herself instead of leaving it to Mulder. On the other hand, "I'm happy for you" doesn't much sound like he cares about the bundle of joy that Scully is carrying. (Great scene, by the way, from Mulder's point of view.) One more thing — didn't mention the timeline insanity last week, but I'll revisit it here. Six months that Mulder has been gone puts this episode in late November, early December at best. So while his joke about not winning just because you have more votes may be somewhat well placed, wasn't there an episode with a December tag that had Scully running around with Doggett pursuing some MOTW (and doing so very well by Kersh's estimations) while still looking very svelte?

Best or Worst Moment


I'll always have Frohike. That should be an epitaph for Mulder to consider the next time he dies. Loved the scene with the "little troll" wrapping his arms around Mulder's butt. Too bad the "blessed event" comment had to cast a pall over the fun. ("Baby, what baby?" As long as M&S don't want to discuss it in front of me, I will continue to be in blissful denial. S'fine with me.) Oh, one final best/worst moment observation (you choose which): girlie man 1; manly man 0.

Original Rating: * *

No comments:

Post a Comment