xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Sunday 9 March 2014

8ABX17 - Empedocles

Summary


And here I thought that the "Samantha as starlight" theory was crappy. At least I can give CC the benefit of the doubt for having an original and imaginative idea in that one. Here, Mr. Walker seems to think that we would be interested in the story of how Doggett's poor son was a victim of some evil fiery entity that jumps from body to body for all eternity. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I saw this on Star Trek years ago too! (Wolf in the Fold for those of you who think I'm full of it with all these ST references — only now they're not even ripping off the good episodes.) Otherwise, this was one strangely disjointed hour. We go from oddly shippy Mulder/Scully/pizza man discussions to Doggett hanging around Scully's hospital room being reminded of his son (what the hell was all that about?) to these prickly exchanges between Agent Reyes (who's thankfully less happy this outing) and Mulder. Speaking of, is he just some "agent at large" these days? He was hanging around dressed awfully casually at the office which made me think that maybe he was still off duty but then he later appeared in pants and dress shirt out at the murder scene...? Oh, and of course, in the midst of all this, there was that "evil entity look-at-me I'm a cool but useless effect" thing parading around as an x-file. (In much the same way as Kathy Griffin made Fight Club even harder to watch, Jay Underwood made this hour all the more painful for me. I'm sorry, but he seems to sport this perpetually pathetic look that makes me want to slap him silly.) I'm mildly irritated that with five eps to go, this was one of them. It served no purpose other than to position the characters for another season that I'm not sure how many of us care about anymore. And although CC didn't write this, I can feel his influence all over it. That whole theme of the differing belief systems among he/she/you/me, the requisite Scully stamp of approval on the new kids on the block ("he's worth the effort" referring to Doggett; "I like her" referring to Reyes), never mind that coy bit of dialogue that started out with her thanking Mulder for "another" gift. No, it's not his sperm, but his "courage to believe." Yeah, whatever. At least in the midst of that we finally got some sort of indirect remark from Scully indicating that she may in fact — gasp! — like Mulder. Final observation that I will leave without comment once again: manly man 1, girlie man 0.

Best or Worst Moment


What saved this one from a poor rating was the few seconds of joy that I saw on Mulder's face when he put his hand on Scully's belly. It brought back all of the innocence to his face that I had thought for sure that David wouldn't even know how to conjure up anymore. Kudos. Even though the reason for that joy is distasteful (after all, didn't Mulder imply during this hour that they don't know who/what the father of this "thing" is?), I enjoyed the moment for what it was.

Original Rating: * *

No comments:

Post a Comment