xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Monday 3 March 2014

FICTION: The Sum of My Tomorrows

Is our present defined by our future?

Is THE SUM OF MY TOMORROWS my absolute favourite story out of my creations? In one very important way, yes.

Unlike the others, this story was released with a specific dedication, which was (in part): "...to celebrate the character of Fox Mulder and to salute the actor who gave him life as a unique, one-of-a-kind modern hero... This was my attempt to give Mulder what he's really wanted all his life: to find his sister. Basically, if Samantha didn't die in Paper Hearts, then she shouldn't have gotten sucked up by starlight in Closure..."

So in that very important way, I feel like I have served the character of Fox Mulder well. Like he said to auditor "Chesty Short" (?!) in Requiem, "Nothing has been resolved, exactly." From what I know of what I didn't see in S8/S9/I Want to Believe (and here I just heard Agent K saying, "how the hell would I know what I don't know?"), I don't think TXF ever went back to the Samantha storyline.

But it really needed to, because what we were given was an epic failure in both spirit and continuity.

Anyway, this story is a direct continuation of ALL OUR YESTERDAYS. Mulder is still "wherever" he is after being taken at the end of S7. He is slowly losing touch with his past memories and begins to have visions of this future... a future that I want him to have, even though it appears to be a future largely without Scully.

For those who find themselves asking "is that a reference to...?" while reading certain passages, I will say that yes, it was my way of addressing — however nebulously — the idea that Scully may have had a child at one point, but that Mulder's memory issues may (or may not) have left him unaware. (When I wrote this story, all I knew was that Scully was pregnant; I had no idea whether or not she would ultimately give birth. And I sure as hell didn't expect that she would give the kid away.)

No comments:

Post a Comment