xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Sunday 16 February 2014

7ABX21 - Je Souhaite

Summary


"I'm all right, don't nobody worry about me" — Kenny Loggins describes Mulder perfectly as he sits back with his Cheshire Cat smile. That aside, I must admit to being torn about rating this one. I had issues about the topic being treated so lightly with stereotypically stupid supporting characters, especially as it might be the second last TXF ep to appear on regular TV and I'm getting increasingly antsy about going out on a high note. Decided to give it the benefit of the doubt, however, since it hit a few significant high points, most notably the final scene of Jen sitting back and watching the world go by as she has a coffee. The concept of appreciating the simple things in life is a favourite theme of mine. (By the way, as a supporting character, I liked her. And I totally agree with her perception of people being stupid because I've been saying that for ages and I haven't even had the advantage of her five hundred years on this earth. However, most people aren't stupid in the way that these brothers were, and that's where I had a bit of a problem with the characterization.) For me, the main trouble with this ep was that wish-making really isn't a totally frivolous activity (suspension of disbelief notwithstanding). For example, it's hard to believe that with the possibility of any type of wish being granted that Mulder wouldn't have wanted a final moment with his mother, or, quite frankly, to have his mother or his sister be alive again. Was there something in that type of wish that wouldn't have been altruistic enough? Maybe it should have been made clear that Jen didn't have the power to bring back the dead - I certainly could have done without the scene where Dumb and Dumber were reunited. Overall, while most of the laughs were fine, I just thought the subject matter deserved a less cavalier treatment. It would have made for a stronger ep, quite possibly along the lines of Monday.

Best or Worst Moment


About time Mulder goes "Ohh!" in aggravation when Scully decides to backtrack YET AGAIN on what she might have seen as being anything other than "what it was". Give it up, lady, you've seen too much to stay a skeptic. As was opined a couple of eps ago, "You're crazy for not believing what he believes."

Original Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment