xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

xgirl's x-files x-perience REVISITED

Sunday 11 August 2013

Like Coming Home Again?

I'm back...sorta.

From 1999 to 2003, I enjoyed a unique "experience" within the X-Files online community. While it wasn't unique in the sense of me being the only one having such an experience, it was unique in how it affected each one of us who went through it. Like many X-Files fans of the day who dabbled in writing fan fiction, I had a website. First created to house my stories, over the course of three years or so, it grew to many, many pages containing collages and wallpapers, non-fiction pieces, and even episode commentary through a partial season eight. (xgirlsfanfic was hosted at various providers, the last one was at xgirlsfanfic.coolfreepages.com.)

xgirl's x-files x-perience circa 2003
In the ten (!) years since, I have been regularly surprised by how much of an impact the show and its fandom have had on people. With 2013 being the 20th anniversary of The X-Files' premiere, I thought it would be fun to join in on the celebrations and revisit the experience. Several days ago, I pulled out my box of TXF DVDs and opened it up for the first time in a few years. I've since watched a few episodes and feel amenable to watching more.

So why the blog? After having had no active presence on the web for several years, it seemed the thing to do. I plan on filling this blog with content from my old website, adding some "currency" with thoughts about what's happened over the past decade as I go along. As I "re-watch", I hope to update the reviews for some of my favourite and even not so favourite episodes. (Posts that have the episode title with "[REVISITED]" at the end contain new content; actual new content is in orange text.) With any luck, I can do so somewhat regularly, but like I said when I was completing the original set of reviews, don't hold me to any timeframe. Having been away for ten years, I don't expect it to be easier the second time around.

First up: revisiting my fanfic.

No comments:

Post a Comment